[mercury-users] undefined reference to `MR_grade_v1_asm_fast_tags2' ????

Warwick HARVEY warwick at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu May 27 12:14:59 AEST 1999

> When I try the example from Ralphs tutorial I get:
>
> kind% mmake hello_world
> ml --grade asm_fast       -o hello_world hello_world_init.o \
>         hello_world.o
> hello_world.o(.rodata+0x10): undefined reference to `MR_grade_v1_asm_fast_tags2'
> gmake: *** [hello_world] Error 1
>
> Any idea what's wrong?

Yup!  Any time you get an undefined reference to something which looks like `MR_grade_...', it means you are trying to link together objects compiled with incompatible grades.

Chances are you compiled `hello_world.m' or the init file with a different grade from the one you are using to link with.  Given you haven't specified the grade on the command line, my guess is that you changed the grade in your Mmakefile, but didn't to an `mmake clean' before rebuilding.

If the above doesn't work, then start by sending us a transcript of the complete build process (preferably after an `mmake realclean' just to be sure), rather than just the final link stage which you sent this time.

Tschüs,
Warwick