[mercury-users] Meta programming in Mercury

Ralph Becket rwab1 at cam.sri.com
Thu May 20 20:48:27 AEST 1999

[My first attempt to do this triggered the mailing list's manual
moderation alarm because I'd attached a 50K paper.  Taking Fergus'
advice I've finally tarted up my web pages and made it available
there.]

> Luke Evans wrote on 19 May:
>
> put me right off.  Given my background (mainly imperative languages, with
> some Prolog thrown in for good measure), I've little experience with
> functional approaches and HO in particular, so I'm going to have to play
> around with this to see how it can be put to this use.

John Hughes' wrote an excellent introduction to higher order
programming in his paper ``Why Functional Programming Matters''.
Those who haven't read it can download it from

http://kidwelly.cam.sri.com/people/becket/papers/index.html

The first half talks about HO stuff and the latter half is about
laziness - very cute, but not directly applicable to Mercury at the
moment.  The examples are in Haskell, but the relationship to Mercury
func's is obvious.

Cheers,

Ralph

--