[mercury-users] Handy Programming tool for Mercury.

Marko Schuetz marko at ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu May 20 19:07:39 AEST 1999

Ralph> Erwan Jahier wrote on 11 May:
>> | I've written an Awk script, state2m, to simplify the coding up of
>> | `state containers' in Mercury
>>
>> It looks nice.
>>
>> Is there any strong reason why didn't you implement that script in Mercury
>> itself ?

Ralph> I considered using Mercury, and it's doubtless the case that a Mercury
Ralph> implementation would be more robust.  However, it's essentially a text
Ralph> mangling task and it's easier to do that kind of thing in Awk.

Ralph> If I/someone eventually gets around to providing a decent generic
Ralph> parsing module then the next version will probably be in Mercury.

Maybe lucky
http://www.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~klose/lucky.html would be
of interest. While it isn't a parsing *module*, it generates a parser
using monadic parser combinators in Haskell. It's raison d'etre is
that as a masters student Norbert Klose found that the Haskell source
for a Haskell parser generated by Happy was so large he could not get
it compiled with any of the compilers available on any of the machines
we had. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to translate it to
mercury, in fact I have thought about doing it myself, but my time is
as finite as anyone elses and there are currently tasks with higher
priorities.

Marko