experiences

Henk Vandecasteele Henk.Vandecasteele at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Mar 17 01:00:16 AEDT 1999

Hi,

I'm using Mercury-0.8 and have some strange experiences.
I compared using grade asm_fast.tr and asm_fast.gc.tr
On a solaris machine switching off the garbage collector
SLOWS DOWN the execution.
On a linux-machine the exection is slightly faster without
garbage collection.
It concerns small programs perfoming no garbage collection
even with the grade having gc.
On older versions of mercury, programs running without
garbage collector were running much faster without garbage collection
both on linux and solaris.
Is there an explanation. Has it to do with the trailing
or maybe with a new version of the garbage collector?

Another matter. A new version of gcc has been installed on our
solaris machines. We switched from gcc-2.8.0  to egcs-2.93.11
The version of mercury compiled with gcc 2.8.0 seems not comaptible
with egcs-2.93.11. Is it worth the try to
recompile the compiler and libs with egcs-2.93.11, any experiences
on that?

Regards,

Henk