[mercury-users] Newbie problem. :)

Thomas Conway conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jun 16 12:22:28 AEST 1999

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 09:36:16AM EST, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> I also had in mind predicates as a replacement for patterns.
> One of the serious weaknesses of Prolog, which Mercury has inherited,

I remember talking about something like this with Fergus a long time ago
(ie round 1994): doing switch detection after inlining, but that had the
problem that inlining was optional, and making the correctness of you
program depend on the optimization setting was a Bad Thing. One other
consideration that came up at the time was how "really deep" indexing
impacts the difficulty of understanding programs for maintainers. I
guess if the information for "really deep" indexing or mutual exclusion
is obvious (eg declared), then this isn't a problem.

--
 Thomas Conway  )O+  |   Master, I go hunting.
     Mercurian       |     -- Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea