[mercury-users] MCORBA

Luke Evans Luke.Evans at seagatesoftware.com
Tue Jun 15 01:57:23 AEST 1999

MCORBA will be a fairly important component in the project I've just started
in Mercury.  This involves writing 'actors' in Mercury which define
primitive data-mining functions which are installed onto the network.  These
primitives then form the building blocks of more abstract, distributed, data
analysis.  Obviously I could write the CORBAry bits in C++ and just bind
this to Mercury via the C interface, but this seems a shame.

We use CORBA in Seagate products for an infrastructure which I defined
called Open Component Architecture (OCA).  This is the 'dial-tone' which
allows a component to find and consume a service of a particular type no
matter where it is installed in the enterprise.  The data analysis model
described above will fit within this scheme.

What I'd like to know at this juncture is how much MCORBA is dependent on
the specifics of OmniORB.  We moved through a number of CORBA vendors
(including OmniORB) before settling on Orbacus (http://www.ooc.com).  We
found Orbacus to be about the best ORB for quality and completeness.  It has
proper Interface Repository support as well as DII/DSI.  Support is second
to none - we get patches from the developers within minutes/hours typically.
The ORB is available for free to non-commercial organisations (and charges
for 'developer licenses' for commercial operations), yet compares
exceedingly well with the 'big boys' (Visibroker and Orbix).

How much effort would be involved to support Orbacus instead of OmniORB.
What is the rationale for adopting OmniORB in the first place (or is this
accidental)?  I'm too lazy to have inspected the MCORBA code yet - I'm
hoping to get easy answers!

Thanks,

Luke