[mercury-users] More supporting material

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jun 8 06:38:40 AEST 1999

On 07-Jun-1999, Luke Evans <Luke.Evans at seagatesoftware.com> wrote:
> This could quite easily seems like a negative criticism - it isn't.  I know
> this has been discussed before, but I continue to feel that Mercury is under
> represented in terms of supporting material - tutorials, documentation,
> examples etc.  Now, it _does_ have each of these, but I recently had a look
> around at what was offered for Haskell and Clean, and there is so much more
> supporting material - particularly for the beginner or those converting from
> an imperative background (I'm not counting formal language specifications
> here).

Agreed.

> [...] Assuming there are others engaged in projects
> involving Mercury, there must be a growing community of users out there
> which might be willing to contribute in this regard, with examples, case
> studies, hints and tips and other sundry collateral material which would
> surely bolster the uptake of Mercury.  Maybe all that's needed is some form
> of moderation for material offered - an editor in chief - and a channel on
> which to present new material?  Would a sort of 'open development'
> documentation effort be feasible?

Yes, I think that is a great idea, and I strongly encourage anyone who
is interested to go ahead and contribute such material.

The best channel on which to present new material is the
mercury-developers mailing list <mercury-developers at cs.mu.oz.au>.
The Mercury group would be happy to review any such material, providing
constructive criticism, suggestions, and so forth, and to provide
remote cvs access.  We'd also be happy to put appropriate material up
on our WWW site and/or include it in the Mercury distribution.

We already have the infrastructure (WWW site, mailing lists, cvs repository
with remote access, reviewing procedure, etc.) for doing open development
in place, and indeed we do have several important contributors working
remotely (Erwan Jahier at IRISA in France, Warwick Harvey at Monash,
and Ralph Becket at SRI Cambridge).

Cheers,
	Fergus.