stripping is great! (was: MSVC port for Mercury?)

Koen De Turck eric.de.turck at skynet.be
Sun Feb 21 01:06:56 AEDT 1999

Dear Mercury folks ,

Indeed,stripping the executable of 2289 KB (!),
resulted in a fairly small 415 KB  sized file,
which is absolutely an acceptable size.

When i stripped down eliza :-), the largest included sample, i got
an file of 429 KB,
so it seems that most of these four hundred KB are
runtime, as Fergus already pointed out.

I was so excited of all that stripping,
so i stripped mercury_compile.exe (originally 14 MB, now only
2,9 MB). This wasn't too dangerous i hope ? i couldn't help,
it was stronger than myself :-).
The compiler doesn't seem to suffer from it.

Is there a way to strip compiled files automatically ?
Maybe you could fix this in the next distribution.

I would like to thank Fergus for his help, (I haven't tried out the shared libs though)
and the whole Mercury team for the nice language they gave us.
     Koen