[mercury-users] MSVC port for Mercury ?

Michel Vanden Bossche mvb at miscrit.be
Fri Feb 19 02:05:33 AEDT 1999

Koen De Turck wrote on Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:48 :

> Fergus Henderson wrote in a message about threads
> > Mission Critical have apparently ported Mercury to Windows
> > using MSVC rather than gcc/Wygwin.  That port could be
> > extended to use Windows threads.
>
> where can i find more about that port ?

The Windows port is progressing but is still work in progress. We
currently have a clean compile and have been able to compare the gcc and
the MSVC performance (as indicated in a previous mail). As you can see, we
have

	VC/gcc-asm_fast is ~ 1.3
        VC/gcc-none is ~ 0.9

We are still struggling with the bootstrap of the compiler : problems with
the scripts and portability problems with the standard Mercury library.

> I installed mercury a few months ago on my windows computer,
> with Cygwinb20.1 but even the "hello world" example  generated an executable
> of nearly 2 Mb ! , is this normal or has it to do with
> Cygwin (or did I something wrong) ?

DLL are not supported in the current Cygnus Mercury environment. Fergus
has worked on that. We are working on DLL support in our MSVC port.

As soon as we have a reasonable release and packaging, we'll let the
Mercury community know (it could still take some time because we want to
have COM client support).

The support of threads and a ruggedized COM server suppport is, of course,
on our list of tasks, but is not for the next few weeks :-(

Michel Vanden Bossche
Mission Critical