[mercury-users] Mercury needs a Tutorial

Bas de Bakker basde.bakker at pica.nl
Fri Feb 12 21:36:10 AEDT 1999

    Wim> When you make a tutorial, it's important to know at what
    Wim> level of students you are teaching.

My idea was to mostly aim at programmers, familiar with C or such, who
know what a linked list and a hash table are.  People who have
debugged enough uninitialized variable problems and memory leaks to
appreciate the promises of a language that does not have them.  People
who need to get real work done and may be less interested in language
elegance, logic and such.

    Wim> When you want to make a tutorial for lets say 1st or 2nd year
    Wim> at university (computer-science department of course), you
    Wim> can make it harder, with much more theory, less examples.

This was not my idea at all.  CS students can read the existing books
on logic programming.

Regards,
Bas.