"Split" libraries?

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Mon Apr 19 10:50:50 AEST 1999

Hi,

Are "split" libraries (i.e. libraries built with --split-c-files) a
currently supported feature, or are they something that's fallen by the
way-side a bit?  Is building them documented anywhere?

I had a bit of a play with them on the weekend (they seemed like they'd
solve a problem I had), but a few weird things happened so I left them alone.

I've discovered that one has to make sure all the interface files are built
before attempting to use a `.split' target, and that the `clean' targets
don't clean up the `*.dir' directories.  Are there likely to be only minor
problems such as the above if I try to use this feature, or would I be
better off leaving it alone until I can spend some time to mess with it?

(This is using a CVS build from a couple of weeks ago.)

Thanks,
Warwick