[mercury-users] gcc errors (was Programming "contests").

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Sep 30 02:16:01 AEST 1998

On 29-Sep-1998, Gustavo A. Ospina <g-ospina at uniandes.edu.co> wrote:
> What really happens when upon installing Mercury compiler occurs this
> error?:
>
> 	Internal Compiler Error: program cc1 got fatal signal 4
>
> It is a bug of gcc? of Linux kernel? I don't know...
>
> This error occurs me frequently upon installing Mercury compiler (version
> 0.6 and 0.7.3 in Linux 2.0.0 using gcc 2.7.2). I had to restart several
> times 'make' to continue and finish with the installation.

If it is not repeatable, it is often bad hardware.

gcc (and Mercury) use quite a bit of memory, and tend to exercise
bad memory or overheated CPUs quite a bit.  fatal signal 11 is a
very common error with bad memory.  I'm not sure what fatal signal 4
is about.

The other thing that can cause this is old versions of gcc, but I
don't think 2.7.2 is too old (haven't checked though).  If it is
an old version of gcc, it should be repeatable -- you should not
be able to keep going by running make again.