[mercury-users] Mercury programmer required ;-)

Juergen Stuber juergen at mpi-sb.mpg.de
Sun Sep 27 02:18:04 AEST 1998

Peter Schachte <pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 1998 at 02:44:59PM +0200, Juergen Stuber wrote:
> > This would break already in ISO 8859-1 if is_alpha/1
> > and to_upper/2 were extended to accented letters or umlauts.
>
> What do you mean by "break"?  What do you expect rot13 to do to
> accented letters?  What do you expect, say, e umlaut to turn into?
> Rot13 is only defined to change the unaccented letters.

Yes.  But if is_alpha/1 were extended, your rot13 would also
change accented letters, possibly into non-letters, which it
shouldn't.  So I think it is better to specify the ranges A-Z
and a-z explicitly.

Another reason not to use library(ctypes) is that sicstus doesn't
seem to have it.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen at mpi-sb.mpg.de>