[mercury-users] Native garbage collector for Mercury

Ralph Becket rwab1 at cam.sri.com
Fri Sep 11 10:54:26 AEST 1998

Randall Helzerman wrote on 10 Sep:

> > Just how many operating systems are written in COBOL?  Or BASIC?  Or Perl?
> > How many *available* operating systems are written in Java?
>
> These are all dying programming languages, with the notable exception of perl.

Well, my supervisor's wife who thought her career as a COBOL
programmer was over years ago is now earning more cash than you can
shake a stick at.

For my money, it isn't whether anyone's written an OS in some language
that makes it a success.  Instead, I offer you Becket's Hypothesis:

	Uptake of a language is inversely proportional to its
	elegance.

Perl, which sucks like a hoover, is doing fine.

Ralph

--
Ralph Becket  |  rwab1 at cam.sri.com  |  http://www.cam.sri.com/people/becket.html