[mercury-users] Any recent developments?

Ralph Becket rwab1 at cam.sri.com
Fri Jul 17 18:33:16 AEST 1998

Alexander Voinov wrote on 17 Jul:
> I like much more backward chaining and logic programming :-) so I'd
> like to write reasoning on top of KQML on something prolog-like,
> and Mercury is attractive for that.
>
> I suspect however that the "io__state :: di, io__state :: uo" paradigm of
> Mercury could make implementation of such a library a
> sophisticated exercise. But if must not be harder than, say
> event-driven programming. If one is possible in Mercury, than also another.

My feeling is that writing code that backtracks over IO (as happens
all too frequently in Prolog) leads to madness and divorce.

I propose a new adage: Keep It Clean, Stupid!

> As I remember SICStus Prolog has (had?) subsystem "Linda". It is
> probably something similar. The mentioned protocols, however, become
> a standard.

To be frank, if I have to implement new stuff these days and an FP/LP
approach is appropriate, I'll use Mercury - programs of any size under
Prolog can cause you major grief (no typing, no higher order stuff,
non-declarative actions, no moding...)

Ralph

--
Ralph Becket  |  rwab1 at cam.sri.com  |  http://www.cam.sri.com/people/becket.html