Exceptions (again!)

Ralph Becket rwab1 at cam.sri.com
Thu Jul 16 22:17:01 AEST 1998

Looking over the reference manual, I notice that exceptions are still
not part of the language.  Fergus posted a patch to provide
exceptions, but said that there were problems with the semantics.  I
can see that, but I was wondering whether the debate had moved on?

For my money, exceptions are superb devices for error handling.
Without them one often has to torture code to make it handle
unexpected situations gracefully.  Code ends up being a nest of
do-this-check-for-error-ouch-then-I'll-return-my-error-code type
stuff.  Nasty.

But if exceptions really are too horrible for words, could somebody
explain to me why?

Cheers,

Ralph

--