[mercury-users] 234-Trees vs alternatives in the compiler

Thomas Charles Conway conway at hydra.cs.mu.oz.au
Wed Dec 16 11:18:44 AEDT 1998

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 10:11:43AM EST, Thomas Charles Conway wrote:
> To compare again, I just wrote the attached program and ran in on
> hydra (the 2xPPro200 with 256Mb of RAM linux box under my desk).
> The best time for each out of 6 runs is reported:
> 	234 trees:		6.5 sec
> 	red black trees:	8.1 sec

I changed the runs to make them longer, because I was suspicious
because the difference was so great. Here are some more reliable
results on runs 10x as long:
	234 trees:		83.0 sec
	red black trees:	80.9 sec

which is a pretty small difference.

Thomas
--
Thomas Conway <conway at cs.mu.oz.au> )O+
To a killer whale, otters are like hairy popcorn -- Paul Dayton