[mercury-users] hi & a feq queries

Donald Syme Donald.Syme at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 19 08:53:30 AEST 1998

> I'm not sure, but I think we may have fixed this in the development
> version. In any case, the use of existential quantifiers is almost
> always unnecessary, since variables are implicitly existentially
> quantified to their smallest enclosing scope. For instance, they
> are unnecessary in the code you show above.

Thanks, that's great.  I only use them because I am translating from
a language that has its own explicit binding, and it seems
sensible to mirror those bindings in the Mercury code.  For
example I have to translate (Exists a. p(a)) & (Exists a. q(a))
and it's just easier for me if I don't have to manually rename.

Cheers,
Don Syme