[m-dev.] hl (not hlc) grades

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Sun Apr 5 02:52:45 AEST 2020

Do we support the hl.gc grade (which uses high level data
as well as high level code), or don't we? I seem to recall
that we discussed removing support for the hl grade component,
as we did with hlc_nest and hl_nest, but I don't recall the
result, and I can't find the relevant discussion in mrev or mdev.

The reason I ask is two-fold. First, a change I am working on
would be simpler if it did not have to handle high level data
grades targeting C, and second, when I tried a bootstrap
in hl.gc, it failed almost immediately, when compiling the runtime,
yielding the attached error from the C compiler, which for me
is gcc 7.4.0. I don't know whether the error reflects bit rot in the
Mercury system, or the effect of changes in gcc.

Zoltan.