[m-dev.] [m-users.] Closed source Mercury projects on Windows

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Mon May 28 13:38:02 AEST 2018

Hi Julien,

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> LGPL with a static linking exception will certainly address the
> technical issues.  From a non-technical perspective, BSD or MIT,
> would be more useful when getting Mercury accepted when creating
> proprietary software.

I agree with that, but can you make such a call without consulting all
the authors who put the license there in the first place? I think it's
a lot safer just to allow the distribution of object code, since we
know already that that was the intent (the topic having come up many
times over the years).

> 2. runtime/mercury_getopt.[ch] contains a modified copy of the
> the getopt source code (which IIRC is conditionally compiled in).

Can/should this be swapped out for a freer implementation, such as
https://github.com/kimgr/getopt_port ?

Mark