[m-dev.] [m-users.] Closed source Mercury projects on Windows

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Tue Jun 5 07:28:05 AEST 2018

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 06:50:26 +1000, Mark Brown <mark at mercurylang.org> wrote:
> +In the following, "the Mercury Core Libraries" refers to all source
> +code in the library, runtime, trace, browser and mdbcomp directories
> +in this distribution.

I would put that list of directories into alphabetical order, and add this:

All Mercury programs have to have parts of the runtime directory
linked into them, and almost all have to have parts of the library
directory linked into them. In addition, Mercury programs compiled
for debugging and/or profiling have parts of the browser, mdbcomp
and/or trace directories linked into them. These five directories
are *all* the directories that *ever* have *any* part of them
automatically linked into an executable program by the Mercury
system.

The last sentence is the key: it explains why the exception applies
to these directories, and why these are enough.

> +The Mercury Core Libraries are distributed under the terms of the
> +GNU Library General Public License (LGPL) version 2 (included below).
> +
> +As a special exception to the GNU Library General Public License, you
> +may link, statically or dynamically, a "work that uses the Mercury
> +Core Libraries" with the Mercury Core Libraries to produce an
> +executable file containing portions of the Mercury Core Libraries,
> +and distribute that executable file under terms of your choice,
> +without any of the additional requirements listed in clause 6 of the
> +GNU Library General Public License.

I would delete "in clause 6 of", since this is clearer; people shouldn't
have to look for gotchas in all the *other* clauses, since we don't intend
for there to be any.

Otherwise, I am fine with this.

Zoltan.