[m-dev.] promoted ROTDs

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 15:07:38 AEST 2018

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 05:18:24 +0200 (CEST), "Zoltan Somogyi" <zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with using -Werror, gcc's equivalent of
> --halt-at-warn? I am thinking it would be a good idea to turn it on in bootchecks
> after this bug is fixed, to detect such problems at the source. And is there an
> equivalent for clang?

clang understands -Werror as well.

I think you can turn it on for bootchecks by default, with an option to
disable it. Different compiler versions will often warn about different
things, sometimes important but sometimes relatively harmless things.
It should be possible to continue testing while (knowingly) ignoring
warnings.

Actually, the warning I have in mind is not only harmless but spurious:
for a while, gcc used to complain about local variables shadowing
globals.

Peter