[m-dev.] pragma foreign_export_enum

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Tue Nov 28 20:58:35 AEDT 2017

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 04:08:32 -0500 (EST), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> > One is extending the current algorithm that puts several adjacent enum arguments
> > of a term into a single word to also treat {int,uint}{8,16,32} arguments as
> > sub-word-sized entities that can be packed into a single 64 bit word.
> > (Mutatis mutandis for 32 bit platforms.)
>
> I would like to propose a fifth (somewhat related to the first): records
> that are really vectors of fixed size integer types, for example:
>
>     :- type foo ---> foo(uint32, uint32, uint32, uint32).
>
>     :- type ipv4_addr ---> ipv4_addr(uint8, uint8, uint8, uint8).
>
> should (in C grades at least) be packed into a word if they will fit, or
> represented as an array of the fixed size integer type.

Throughout this conversion, I will be assuming a 64 bit word size.

I don't really see any distinction between my first (which is actually Peter's)
and your first example of the fifth. When the compiler packs sub-word-sized fields
into words, it doesn't stop after one word. So once we change the compiler to pack
fixed size integer fields the way it already packs enum fields (scheme 1), values of
type foo will be represented as pointers to a two-word cell on the heap, exactly
the same as with your scheme 5. Did I misunderstand something?

For your second example, I think you are proposing that if all the arguments
*do* fit into a single word, then we should get rid of the pointer and replace it
with that word. I think that is a very good idea.

> Additionally,
> there should be a well defined mechansim for accessing the fields of
> those types from foreign language code.  For C grades, the fact that
> the word size may vary is a bit of a complication, but I think we could
> arrange (perhaps via an additional pragma) for the compiler to generate
> a macro that always returns a pointer to an array of fixed size integer
> types regardless of whether the machine uses 32- or 64-bit words.

I think that this is also a good idea, but I am pretty sure it should be
a part of a more comprehensive approach. For example, when called for
either via pragma or via a compiler option, we could put into a header file
two macros per field, which could be used like this:

cur_value_of_field_n = get_foo_field_n(cur_value_of_foo);
next_value_of_foo = set_foo_field_n(cur_value_of_foo, next_value_of_field);

In the naive version, the set macros would allocate a new heap cell
if necessary, which would make sequences of assignments to several fields
wasteful, but we could also generate a macro that creates a new value
from the values of *all* the fields at once. Programmers could use that
to avoid the waste.

> >> The bit about the bijection was intended to refer to the mapping
> >> established by each fee pragma _in isolation_; they are not meant be
> >> considered collectively.
> >
> > That was not at all clear from the wording, which I suspect was cut-and-pasted
> > from the section of foreign_enums. I will change the description.
>
> That cut-and-pasting seems unlikely as foreign_export_enum was implemented
> before foreign_enum ;-)

Then the origin of the wording is more of a mystery to me. However, since
I am about to replace it, it is not a *significant* mystery :-)

> > Any objection to moving the documentation of foreign_enum before
> > the documentation of foreign_export_enum, i.e. swapping the order
> > of 14.5 and 14.6? I think that would make the distinction between the two
> > easier to describe.
>
> Not from me.

OK, will do.

Zoltan.