[m-dev.] I have been making Debian packages

Sebastian Godelet sebastian.godelet at outlook.com
Sun Mar 26 22:18:31 AEDT 2017

Hi,

> On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 01:31:44PM +0000, Sebastian Godelet wrote:
> I don't know, I thought it usually says why something "is not going to be
> installed".  Could it be the difference between "apt-get <packagename>"
> and "apt-get install <packagename>"?

Actually that was just an omission when I copied the text from bash, sorry.

> > sudo apt-get mercury-devel resolved fine.
> >
> > Are the packaging scripts/instructions open-source?
>
> They will be,  I'll publish them either later this evening or tomorrow.
>
> Whatever you do you may still run into problems with Ubuntu on Windows.
> At YesLogic (where we use Mercury commercially) we have received some
> reports that Mercury programs crash (we're using the hlc.par.gc grade FWIW).
> We have simply instructed our customers to download the windows version
> if they're running windows.  We suspect that Microsoft's emulation simply
> isn't perfect.

Yes it is still in beta I think. Maybe the next Windows 10 update version will improve on that part.
I'll try this new package with docker next, that should work much better.

Having a pre-packaged version vastly improves support for CI tools such as Jenkins so one doesn't have bootstrap Mercury during a full CI rebuild,
Let's say a service such as Travis CI works best with pre-build packages.
Now the only trouble is that 14.01.1 is too old to compile a DEV compiler.
I guess there will eventually be a next release :-)

> --
> Paul Bone
> http://paul.bone.id.au

-- Sebastian.