[m-dev.] for discussion: dropping support for old compilers / OSs etc

Sebastian Godelet sebastian.godelet at outlook.com
Tue Oct 4 14:25:45 AEDT 2016

Hi Julien,

When Windows XP support is dropped, the default .NET version shipped with Windows is 4.5 or later.
.NET 4.5 has so many improvements and features that would be very useful to rely on, e.g. async/await.
>From http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/supported-platforms/osx/ I see that mono only supports Mac OS X 11.7 (Lion) or later,
So I'm not sure what framework version can be expected on Mac OS X then, or how users typically install it (homebrew?).
Note that recent mono versions have significant performance improvements. I think that .NET versioning doesn't need to be as conservative as Java
as for example the CLR version for both 4.5 and 4.0 so most code is binary (forward-)compatible.

Cheers,

Sebastian.