[m-dev.] Building Mercury in Windows 10

hao ramirez haoramirez at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 09:25:42 AEDT 2016

So, if I wanted to fix the Mercury 14.01 (Visual Studio 2013 32bit)
release, how would I start?

I'm interested in committing to really trying to help this project, so
looking at it I'm not that sure how to go about it.

So far I am at the point where I am in the build tutorial for Window
<https://github.com/Mercury-Language/mercury/blob/master/README.MS-VisualC>s
and I can't seem to even run

> $ ./configure --with-msvcrt
> bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

in the Cygwin shell.

Pretty sure this is a stupid thing I should know, but I have no clue how to
work around it.

Also, what exactly is the build sequence for Mercury in general? I know
it's Autotools, but I'm wondering what the breakdown of:

> config.guess
> config.sub
> configure.ac
> install-sh
> Makefile
> Makefile.DLLs
> Mmake.common.in
> Mmake.workspace
> Mmakefile
> prepare.sh

and how they are used? Big question, but I'm just wondering if someone
could maybe use some ASCII to show:
configure.ac [depending on config.sub, config.guess] -> processed by
./configure -> generates file $x -> Makefile [depending on $x] ->
scripts/Mmake -> ...
or something?

Also, it looks like the Makefile calls Mmake, but I thought Mmake was
completely deprecated? Is it still used in the initial build system?

p.s.
I'm of the opinion that my stupid questions are going to be useful for
someone else someday, but maybe that's the wrong assumption to be making? I
don't mind putting more effort into reading the documentation and posting
my own monologue about how I think it works, but I think that would border
on nonsense babble at this point. For my thick head, frankness is
appreciated.