[m-dev.] questions about grades

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Wed Feb 24 15:02:11 AEDT 2016

> Because .par means something different on each backend, I find it hard to
> distill what .par means for all backends.  The closest sucsinct description
> that is truthful is "thread safety and concurrency support".

If history had worked out a little differently, perhaps Mercury would
have support for concurrency in all the default grades, with a couple of
specific "nonpar" grades for the C backends that offer a slight
performance boost in exchange for breaking concurrency.

Of course, multithreaded GC on eight cores means that even
single-threaded programs may typically run faster in .par grades, now...

Michael

--
Prince: Print with CSS!
http://www.princexml.com