[m-dev.] Proposed installation profiles

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Mon Oct 26 23:16:55 AEDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest allowing multiple additive profiles to be specified.
> That will cut down the number of profile names, and not require the user
> to know the order of the words.

That would also leave the name profile-trail (alias trail-profile) to
mean a profile where grades would include both profiling and trailing,
which otherwise not be covered.

On the listed profiles:
- If your project requires trailing, you probably really don't care
about non-trailing grades, except for the one used to build the
compiler. So I don't think trail should include all base grades.
- If incrementally installing, and grades are selected that are
already installed, are they re-installed? If so, I would rather that
debug and profile do not include the base grades either, since these
profiles are ones that are likely to be added after initial
installation (*). Developers can write base,profile,debug if they want
base grades up front.

Cheers,
Mark.

(*) It's nice to be able to start compiling your newly written code,
even though you are still waiting for the other tools to be installed.