[m-dev.] New release?

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Mon Oct 26 23:08:29 AEDT 2015

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2015, Mark Brown wrote:
>>> 3. With the current installation method you don't want to install too
>>> many grades up front because of the installation time, so this is
>>> closely connected with 2. But incremental installation - something
>>> that was mentioned a while ago - would break this connection,
>>> therefore installation time is a separate problem.
>>

>> For the record, I did post a diff that allowed incremental installation
>> of library grades (on most platforms) here:
>> <http://www.mercurylang.org/list-archives/reviews/2014-September/017263.html>
>>

> That's why I mentioned it specifically as a separate problem.  :-)
>
> Can the incremental installation be made to work with the (additive)
> profiles proposed in the other thread?

In practice, we probably want to provide a separate tool (essentially a
package manager for grades) that handles the details -- the above diff
would just provide a mechanism to install the extra grades once the new
tool has worked out what new grades to install.  So, yes, the new tool
could be aware of the installation profile.

It might go something like this:

     ./new_tool install-profile debug

which would do the following:

   * query the compiler to see what grades are currently installed
   * query the compiler for any other information about the current
     installation (e.g. what the best LLDS base grade is)
   * compute the difference between the set of currently installed grades
     and those implied by the debug profile.
   * if that difference is non-empty invoke configure with the
     --install-extra-grades option and install the grades.

Julien.