[m-dev.] New wiki

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Tue Mar 24 00:14:28 AEDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 11:24:42PM +1100, Paul Bone wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've setup a wiki for Mercury.
>
>     https://www.mercurylang.org/wiki/

To address some of the feedback I've setup a git repository with github that
will mirror the wiki's contents.  https://github.com/Mercury-Language/wiki

Changes made in the git repository will be replicated (in about 3.7 seconds)
in the website version.  Likewise, changes made via the web interface will
be pushed to github.  This solution is convenient but there is a race
condition.  If that's ever a problem we'll have to resolve any conflicts
manually.

This is intended to give us a log of changes made in addition to the
RecentChanges button on the website.  Zoltan said that it would be useful if
this e-mailed people automatically.  It doesn't do that yet however this
change should make it easier to write a script that does that.  We can each
write our own scripts that, for example, update a local clone of this
repository and compare it's "git log" output to yesterday's "git log" output
and e-mail us if there is a change, or if there's enough demand I can put
such a script on the webserver and provide a way to subscribe to it.

The git copy of the repository is also intended to address concerns about
being able to moderate or review changes to the repository.  It makes it
simple for us to undo any vandalism (by undoing the git revision or applying
a new patch).  github's teams also allow us to give other people write
access to this repository if we want more help with mediation.

We can also commit directly to this repository rather than using the web
interface if we prefer.

At a later date I plan to remove the OpenID access to the web interface and
possibly allow anonymous edits.  Oh, and I'll add some content.

Cheers.

--
Paul Bone