[m-dev.] Continious integration testing

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Tue Jun 30 14:20:13 AEST 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:57:26PM +0000, Charles Shuller wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've received the following error on the 3 most recent ROTDs when trying to
> build them.
>
> There is no mmc on my path at configure time.
>
> mmc --compile-to-c --grade asm_fast.gc     --mercury-linkage shared --flags
> LIB_FLAGS   --flags INTER_FLAGS
> -R/home/charles/local/stow/mercury-rotd-2015-06-04/lib/mercury/lib/asm_fast.gc
> -R/home/charles/local/stow/mercury-rotd-2015-06-04/lib/mercury/lib
> --no-warn-insts-without-matching-type   array > array.err 2>&1
> /tmp/mmake.MuuPTs:67610: recipe for target 'array.c_date' failed

I think we need to bring something like the old nightly test scripts back.

How did we mis this issue for three months?  I have been installing the
Mercury I need and only installing a new one if I need it for some reason
(eg: to build the git version).  Have we all been doing this and therefore
none of the developers have been regularly testing the ROTD builds?

It would be good to bring back some kind of testing rigor.  I would also
like to use something more like continuous integration (CI) rather than the
nightly build scripts.  CI will also give us more granular feedback (one
test run per change) and will not run if nothing changed.  I started to
investigate this in 2013 but stopped as I (then) lacked the disk space
required for so many builds.

Thoughts?

--
Paul Bone