[m-dev.] Upgrading Boehm GC, attempt #2

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Jan 20 12:00:17 AEDT 2015

Hi Paul,

I've finally had a change to look at this some more.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014, Paul Bone wrote:

> If anyone would like to test this on Windows that would be helpful.  In
> particular I'm not sure how the symlink from boehm_gc/libatomic_ops to
> libatomic_ops will be handled on a windows file system.

On MSYS it results in an error, you will need to copy the libatomic_ops
directory on Windows.   It's probably alright on Cygwin, so if the
output of uname matches "*MINGW*" you should copy instead of link.

One other problem I have noticed with the upgraded collector is that if
your compiler and related tools are installed in C:\Program Files\...
then various automake / libtool generated things don't handle spaces in
directory paths correctly and the whole thing breaks.  (For MinGW64, the
issue seems to be related to the fact that the value of LD is directory
qualified -- and not suitably escaped -- in libatomic_ops/Makefile.
Unfortunately, I haven't yet managed to work out what is actually
filling this value in.)  I'll retry MinGW64 with the development tools
installed in a directory without spaces.

Cheers,
Julien.