[m-dev.] proof-of-concept code for choosing a grade

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Tue Dec 8 18:42:16 AEDT 2015

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 22:07:09 +1100 (AEDT), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> See below for the reason I don't want this implemented in C.

OK, here is a version of the same idea implemented in Mercury.
It uses two-way propagation instead of one way, so we don't have
to write each conceptual constraint twice, and it also includes
(I think) all the grade components that should be visible to the
general population of users. (This means that it does not include
the ones that are of interest only to developers.)

The user interface is crude since it is intended only for testing;
see the code of the process_arguments predicate.

The core of this code will need to be accessible both to the
compiler and new tools we will write, such as the one that
Peter called for (for generating shell scripts for recognizing
valid grades). The latter means that it shouldn't go into
the compiler directory, but it doesn't fit into the mdbcomp
directory either (it has nothing to do with mdb). Should I
put it into a new directory, say grade_lib? Having it in the
repository would allow everyone to modify it, e.g. to add
missing requirements.

Zoltan.