[m-dev.] proof-of-concept code for choosing a grade

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Sun Dec 6 04:23:09 AEDT 2015

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 22:26:05 +1100, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - The decision to do it in C.
>
> It is not ideal for cross compiling.  We need to build the program with
> one C compiler to run on the building system, then with another C
> compiler to run on the system we are targeting.  We do already run into
> this issue in boehm_gc/Makefile.direct where (as a hack) we just assume
> 'cc' is usable to compile helper programs that run as part of the build
> process.  Something to be aware of.

I don't understand what "this issue" you are referring to. Is it the possibility
that the build machine and the target machine have different C compilers,
or the need for a C compiler at all? If the former, I don't see why
having the switch compilers from build to target should be a problem,
If the latter, if a machine does not have a C compiler, then it cannot
install a standard source distribution anyway. Has anyone ever used
such a machine to compile Mercury programs?

Zoltan.