[m-dev.] Deprecating stuff in builtin module

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Tue Dec 1 02:16:23 AEDT 2015

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 00:06:42 +1100 (AEDT), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> > No objection from me, but I don't think we have any facilities
> > for marking a *mode*, as opposed to a *predicate*, as obsolete.
>
> We don't, beyond documenting that the modes are deprecated (which is
> what I intend to do).

Yes, I figured that. The problem is that if someone has code
that uses those modes, their code will continue to compile without
incident, and they won't KNOW that they should read the new comment.
The comment may therefore help people who look up the documentation
before writing NEW code, but it won't help most people with existing code.
For them. deprecating the mode now and deleting it later will be
effectively indistinguishable from just deleting it later.

Zoltan.