[m-dev.] Upgrading Boehm GC, attempt #2

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Mon Nov 24 10:38:53 AEDT 2014

Hi Paul,

Hope your eyes are feeling better now.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014, Julien Fischer wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2014, Paul Bone wrote:
>
>> I've made another attempt at upgrading Boehm GC.  This time using the
>> submodule method.  This way the history of boehm GC doesn't need to be
>> imported into Mercury (and confuse "git log" and other commands).  The
>> downside is that once you checkout the repository you have to run
>> ./prepare.sh which will pull in the boehm_gc and libatomic_ops
>> repositories.
>>
>> Here's the repository and branch where I've set this up if anyone would
>> like
>> to help me test it.
>>
>> https://github.com/PaulBone/mercury/tree/upgrade_boehm
>
> I will test it on various platforms this week while your eyes are being
> fixed.

I got less of that done than I would have I liked, however I'm fairly
happy that the updated collector works on 64-bit OS X -- I don't know
about the .par grades because the parallel version of the runtime
doesn't currently work on OS X.

I bootchecked Mercury with both clang and GCC, then compiled G12 and ran
the G12 test suite and finally ran the benchmark suite for GVS
(Opturion's vehicle routing solver).  (The latter two don't work with
GCC for reasons that having nothing to do with the Boehm collector
are.)

PLATFORM: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0
BOOTCHECK: hlc.gc (passed)
INSTALLED: hlc.gc,hlc.gc.trseg,none.gc,java,csharp,erlang
G12: passed
GVS: passed.
CC: Apple LLVM version 6.0 (clang-600.0.51) (based on LLVM 3.5svn)

PLATFORM: x86_64-apple-darwin3.5.0
BOOTCHECK: asm_fast.gc (passed)
INSTALLED: hlc.gc.trseg, hlc.gc, asm_fast.gc.trseg, asm_fast.gc
G12: n/a
GVS: n/a
CC: gcc-mp-4.9 (MacPorts gcc49 4.9.1_0+universal) 4.9.1

I'll have a go with the 32-bit OS X port (hopefully) today.

Cheers,
Julien.