[m-dev.] some issues I noticed while working on string.m

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Mon Nov 17 12:01:50 AEDT 2014

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 19:16:54 +1100 (AEDT), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>>> Thing 3
>>>
>>> The MR_set_code_unit function was added (as MR_set_char) by Fergus
>>> exactly 14 years ago, on 16 nov 2000. For speed, I want to remove
>>> the workaround that this function represents. Who has the oldest
>>> gcc version installed on their machine? If that doesn't need
>>> this workaround, then I think we can safely delete it. On my
>>> machine, it is gcc 4.6.
>>
>> I will try it with older versions of GCC and let you know how it goes.
>> (I'm fairly sure that workaround, and indeed any others related to
>> egcs could be removed now.)
>
> I think so too, but wanted to be sure, which is why I asked the question.

I suggest removing the workaround now.  If it turns out to be not
working with some older C compilers I will reinstate the workaround for
just those C compilers / platforms that are affected.  (Presumably that
latter was the just the x86 given the date at which the workaround was
originally added.)

Cheers,
Julien.