[m-dev.] Grade confusion

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Sun Nov 16 15:53:19 AEDT 2014

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Zoltan Somogyi
<zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 12:43:00 +1100 (AEDT), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>> This was discussed on the review list a few months ago:
>> <http://www.mercurylang.org/list-archives/reviews/2014-September/017300.html>.

Oh, right. I see you have already suggested the "seemingly obvious"
solution.  :-)

> Yes. We came to a consensus on the concept, but
>
> (a) we did not *quite* get to a concrete proposal, which would
>      have to include transitional arrangements, and

For the --debug flag, we could just add a fallback rule to select the
best match if the grade that would be selected according to existing
rules is not installed. We'd have to explain what we mean by "best",
though. Alternatively, or additionally, we could add a
--with-default-debug-grade flag at configuration time, which would act
as another fallback rule in the same way that --with-default-grade
does.

Likewise for --trailing, etc. By this method the only users affected
would be users whose builds don't currently work, so I don't see a
great need for any transitional arrangements.

We don't quite have a concrete proposal on what is meant by "best",
but I'll be happy with anything that you think is sensible.

> (b) noone volunteered to either write such a proposal, or
>      implement it once it has been discussed and accepted.
>
> I am now volunteering. I will do this next week, unless
> someone has already started work it.
>
> Paul, good luck with the surgery tomorrow.

Yes, and wishing you a quick recovery, too.

Cheers,
Mark.