[m-dev.] [Gc] git submodules

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Tue Nov 4 22:16:16 AEDT 2014

On Sat, Nov 01, 2014 at 08:57:20PM +0300, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
>  Hi Paul,
>
> I don't like the idea (at least at this moment) of libatomic_ops submodule (nor the idea of excluding the folder from gitignore) to be committed to upstream.
> There are several ways of dealing with dependency tracking - each has pros and cons - let the client decide.

Okay, I can see how you loose flexability by doing that.  This is
flexability that we (Mercury) have never had so I didn't notice until you
pointed it out.

> In particular, subtree merge could be used instead of submodules.
> But, if you still prefer submodules, you could put libatomic_ops directly to your project (making a link bdwgc/libatomic_ops -> libatomic_ops)

I think that's what we'll end up doing then.  Yes we prefer submodules as
there's no need to import Boehm GC's history into the Mercury repository.

Thanks.

--
Paul Bone