[m-dev.] Inductive goals

Peter Schachte pschachte at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 16:11:51 AEDT 2014

On 23/01/14 15:21, Michael Richter wrote:
> On 23 January 2014 10:20, Peter Schachte <pschachte at gmail.com
> <mailto:pschachte at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         $X from $Start to $End by $Func
>
>     which is equivalent to {$X,Func($X)} folds {$Start,$End}
>

> It's also equivalent to FOR X = 1 TO 100 STEP 3, just a bit more
> general.  I thought I'd left that behind me in the '70s.  It appears
> Dijkstra may have been right.

Dijkstra was usually right.

Since the expressiveness of the folds and from-to-by syntaxes are about
the same, the matter should be decided on convenience/readability.  So
which would you find more readable or more convenient?

--
Peter Schachte               All truth goes through three stages. First
University of Melbourne      it is ridiculed. Then it is violently