[m-dev.] map.merge argument order

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Fri Jan 3 15:12:48 AEDT 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Matt Giuca <matt.giuca at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (Does svmap have a 'merge' with the arguments in the correct order? That
>> was the workaround last time. If not, why not add it there?)
>

> There is no svmap module any more; it was only ever a temporary thing during
> the releases where the transition from one set of argument orderings to the
> other was made.

But merge still expects the accumulator in the first argument, since
it is the accumulator that is generally biggest. So obviously that
transition was not completed.

I think you got it wrong here:

https://github.com/Mercury-Language/mercury/commit/9f68c330f079d778a28e7e59162ad5d08d188d83

when, as the log message says, you changed many *but not all* of the
predicates in the map module. I thought the idea of the sv* modules
was so that this significant non-backwards-compatible change could
happen all at once - it wouldn't be painless for the users, but at
least it would be quick.

I note that there were no posts to the users list that month. It
appears the users were left in the dark, on top of everything else.

My 2c.

Mark.