[m-dev.] Hosting.

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:44:40 AEDT 2013

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:45:31 +1100, Paul Bone <paul at bone.id.au> wrote:

> I looked at shared hosting.
>
> A friend of mine recommended
> https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net    Which has plans that scale with usage.
> and
> http://mediatemple.net              Which has one big plan which is way more
>                                     than we need.
>
> Both of these have huge capacity, probably enough for our FTP archive.
> But neither of these, nor any other shared hosting provider I found, offers
> mailing list hosting.

Mantisbt.org recommended this: http://www.a2hosting.com/mantis-hosting
It seems to support mailman, but I'm not sure on what plan, etc.

> We could either host our mailing lists somewhere
> else, such as google groups (which means we don't get the @mercurylang.org
> domain), or we're back to running a VPS (which is more complicated).

Google Groups doesn't provide an export function that I can see.
There is no escape.

For me, SF would cover our needs for zero upkeep.  The only problem
is that their bug tracker isn't Mantis and can be kind of slow.
Perhaps we can host Mantis on Paul's VPS, and everything else on SF?

Note: SF mailing lists come with about six lines of advertising at
the bottom of each email.

Peter