[m-dev.] Reorganisation of extras

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Mon Feb 4 11:20:08 AEDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 17:47:06 +1100, Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>>
>> Since we have now moved the repository to git and can restructure things with
>> more freedom than CVS allowed, I would like to reorganize the extras
>> distribution and make it a bit more user friendly.
>>
>> In terms of the structure, I intend to split extras into two groups:
>>
>>    extras/libraries
>>    extras/tools
>>
>> The "libraries" directory will be for libraries and library bindings
>> while everything else will live in the "tools" directory.
>> I also intend to move everything in the "graphics" directory up a level.
>
> monte belongs in samples.

Yes.

> Some stuff in samples belongs in tools: diff, muz

I think diff should remain in samples.  (I can't imagine a situation
where you would replace actual diff with the Mercury version, so I
think it really just serves as an example of a non-trivial Mercury
program.)

As for muz, who knows?  (It compiles, but that's as much as I know.)
(It's not really a good sample of anything, sense it's written in an ancient
version of Mercury.)

> Maybe there should be an "old" group:
> quickcheck, morphine (I'm assuming), curses (curs preferred)

I'd vote for deleting quickcheck.  The current implementation cannot
work with the current definition of the Mercury language.

morphine, I don't know the status of -- I would imagine that there's some bitrot
in the support for external debuggers though.

The two curses bindings can stay for the time being; each is a somewhat
different take on how you would write a Mercury binding for curses.

>> We will also add a top-level configure script and Makefile in the extras
>> directory that will build and install all supported extras packages.  Finally,
>> we will add a new option to the top-level configure script, --enable-extras,
>> which will cause the "install" target to build and install all the (supported)
>> extras along with everything else.
>
> I suggest --enable-extras takes an optional list of libraries to
> install.  Then I might use it to install one library (not really).

Shall do.

Cheers,
Julien.