[m-dev.] Packaging repository

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Fri Apr 12 10:59:19 AEST 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:48:39AM +1000, Peter Wang wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 16:31:57 +1000, Paul Bone <paul at bone.id.au> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 04:20:00PM +1000, Peter Wang wrote:
> > > You, too, can make some low quality packages:
> > > https://github.com/Mercury-Language/packaging
> > >
> > > We can keep it or not.
> >
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > I've got some half-implemented mercury packaging work here somewhere.  I'll
> > merge it in if you want.
>
> Better stick it in another branch if it would conflict.

Ah, what I mean is put my work in your repository manaully (merge the
projects) rather than doing any kind of git merge.  My package builds only
the asm_fast.gc grade (as we didn't have the DEST_DIR support for multiple
grades yet) and sticks files of different types in different binary
packages.  Ie, if you just want to link to a Mercury program you don't need
to install the compiler and tools.

I have an open ITP bug filed in the debian project for this.

> I just did the minimum (a ridiculous amount of boilerplate) to produce
> an all-in-one binary package laid out by make install.  Here's one I
> made earlier on Ubuntu 12.04 i386:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92159818/mercury-compiler_2013-04-10-1_i386.deb
>
> There's also an RPM spec file in the main repository, which works after
> some updates.  I wonder if we should move it out.

That probably depends on Redhat's policies.

The debian policy is to maintain them seperatly unless the program is only
ever used on debian (eg the debian base system).

--
Paul Bone
http://www.bone.id.au