[m-dev.] Binary data and UTF-8

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Fri May 11 15:10:29 AEST 2012

On Fri, 11 May 2012 14:00:41 +1000 (EST), Julien Fischer <juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 May 2012, Peter Wang wrote:
>
> > And my general complaint: working with bits is annoying and error prone.
> > We don't necessarily need a new type, just a module that provides a
> > byte-oriented interface on top of bitmap.
>
> Isn't there already a byte-orinted interface on top of it?

Not for these.

     :- func init(num_bits::in, bool::in) = (bitmap::bitmap_uo) is det.
     :- func init(num_bits::in) = (bitmap::bitmap_uo) is det.
     :- func resize(bitmap, num_bits, bool) = bitmap.
     :- func shrink_without_copying(bitmap, num_bits) = bitmap.

Some of the bit versions have taken the obvious names, and nothing
prevents me calling those by accident, e.g. those above, in_range,
slice.

Other obvious names that are unusable:

    :- func size(bitmap) = num_bytes.
    :- pred get(bitmap, int, byte).