[m-dev.] Improving compilation time?

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 17 11:26:39 AEST 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, Paul Bone wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 02:27:25PM +0200, Magnus Holm wrote:

>> - Is there anything you could pre-compile and ship with the tar.gz?
>
> We already do this a little bit, simply to allow users to bootstrap (install
> Mercury on a system where Mercury is not yet installed).  We could be more
> aggressive about this, however it is not trivial to implement and can make the
> Mercury distribution much larger.

Actually, I believe Zoltan has already implemented most of what is
necessary to precompile all the library grades.  The disadvantage
of doing this is that the same portability restrictions that we apply
to the base system would also apply to the .c files for the library
grades (i.e. if you want take advantage of extra tag bits or unboxed
floats etc you are going to have to recompile anyway and have the extra
grades precompiled doesn't help).

Potentially, we could supply several versions of the source
distribution, e.g one configured for 64-bit systems, but that also
introduces its own confusions.

Julien.