[m-dev.] question about new memory profiling

Zoltan Somogyi zs at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Apr 1 19:41:33 AEDT 2011

On 28-Mar-2011, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a prototype of this working for low-level C grades so far.

That's great.

> The question now is how to handle allocations in hand-written C code.
> The last argument needs to be something like MR_PROC_LABEL: easy to
> write, and expand out to something appropriate.

How much code is there that hand-allocates heap cells? My guess is that
there are probably less than a hundred, in which case converting them all
by hand to the new system should not too tedious. The constant structures
they refer to can be put in non-duplicated foreign_code pragmas.

> We could retain the type string argument, for existing memprof
> functionality, but simply accept "unknown" when it comes to summarising
> the live heap structures.

Or you could treat a NULL pointer as meaning "unknown". If the fraction
of memory allocate by "unknown" is low enough, noone will care.

Zoltan.