[m-dev.] preferences for error contexts

Zoltan Somogyi zs at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri May 15 17:57:26 AEST 2009

On 15-May-2009, Mark Brown <mark at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> This would have been written because the standard `error' program does
> not handle mercury error messages, presumably.

You presume wrong. The standard error program handles Mercury error messages
just fine; Fergus and I picked the format for Mercury error messages to be the
same as gcc's SPECIFICALLY to ensure that any tool (such as error) that could
handle gcc's errors could handle mmc's errors as well.

The reason why we have our own version of error is that many if not most Unix
systems these days do NOT come with the error program preinstalled.

> distribute our error
> program as part of Mercury.

As Paul's already emailed before your reply, we already do.

Zoltan.