[m-dev.] Laziness modules

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue May 5 17:40:22 AEST 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 05:04:53PM +1000, Ralph Becket wrote:
> I put a couple of modules providing support for lazy computation
> together at the weekend.  Is there any interest in adding these to the
> library?  Laziness gives us what in the C# and Java worlds they call
> "enumerables" and are using to good effect.

I'd consider implementing this in terms of thread safe mutable variables
(thread.mvar) in the standard library or in terms of STM variables.  Either way
it will be more portable than assuming a C backend.

On a parallel backend thread.mvar is probably the most efficient choice since
it does not share one global lock whereas the current STM implementation and
FFI do.

Otherwise this looks really good.

Thanks.