[m-dev.] compiling minizinc tools with java grade

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jun 2 14:01:02 AEST 2009

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Peter Wang wrote:

> On 2009-06-02, Julien Fischer <juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>> minizinc_to_flatzinc.java is 66,833 lines of Java generated from
>> about 9400 lines of Mercury.  Searching for the above error message
>> on the web indicates that this is a result of the class file format
>> limiting each method to 64Kb of bytecode.
>
> I guess we'll have to break up large methods somehow.  But 9400 lines of
> Mercury is.. I assume it's generated, so the generator can be changed.

No, it's handwritten ... by Ralph.  I looked a bit further, the actual
culprit is the 157 clause predicate at the heart of the converter.

>> (2) FlatZinc-to-XML converter (fzn2xml)
>>
>> Compiles and "links".  Aborts with an exception, due to
>> NYI RTTI by the looks of it.
>>
>> (3) FlatZinc solution post-processor (solns2dzn)
>>
>> As above.
>
> I have an incomplete patch that fixes some RTTI problems so that getopt
> works.  Maybe that's the problem here?  I'll send it to you later.

It looks as though that is the case since the stack dump mentions
getopt_io.

>> (4) XML-to-FlatZinc converter (xml2fzn)
>>
>> This fails to compile because Mercury function names are not
>> being mangled into Java method names correctly, e.g.
>>
>>     :- func ('7') = int.
>>
>>     ('7') = 0x37.

>> Actually, the problem here is that mlds_to_java.m just re-uses the name
>> mangler for the C backends and that assumes that the module name will be
>> prefixed to the function name in the target language.  Since the Java
>> backend doesn't do that ...
>
> Yes.  The same problem occurs with the name '', which appears in moose
> (unused).

I think the fix to the name mangler, at least for numeric ids, is fairly
simple.  (Actually the first fix is to _not_ use the C name mangler for
Java code -- I will try to sort this out later today.)

Julien.